What is the PACE Model of teaching?
Image created by Candace Branson
Presentation Attention Co-construction Extension
The PACE Model- Actualizing the Standards through Storytelling: “le Bras, la Jambre et le Ventre”
by Adair-Hauck & Donato
Why use storytelling?
- The story provides context for language (grammar, vocab, culture).
- Stories teach valuable cultural content and values that are often overlooked in beginner classes.
- Analysis of the story engages critical thinking skills.
- The PACE Model of teaching includes the learners knowledge and background as they engage in the analysis of the story.
- Teachers are able to focuses on meaning and form throughout the lessons.
- The PACE Model incorporates reading, writing, listening and speaking throughout.
Communication - Communicate in languages other than English
Comparisons - Develop Insight in to the Nature of Language and Culture
Cultures - Gain Knowledge & Understanding of Other Cultures
Connections - Connect with Other Disciplines & Acquire Information
Communities - Participate in Multilingual Communities at Home & Around the World
For a more complete explanation of the standards, please visit the following website.
Handout created by Candace Branson